Church in the Reform School (Engaru Town)

Hokkaido Katei(Family) Gakkou(School) was established in 1914 as the only private reformatory of Japan. This school has been run based on the principle of Protestantism. A church that symbolizes the principle was constructed in 1919. Its building was made of “Todomatsu”, local wood and its base is of the rock that was digged out when they broke ground.

This beautiful wooden architecture is registered as one of “Hokkaido Heritages”

As the proof that Engaru was in the volcanic area thousands years ago, the base tuff was made of pyroclastic flows.

Inside of the church.

「流汗悟道」-that means “Enlightenment is led by sweat-inducing labor”




コメントを残す

メールアドレスが公開されることはありません。 * が付いている欄は必須項目です

CAPTCHA